Saturday 19 February 2011

Hocuspocus Quilt

While visiting a local quilt show I saw a few quilts with blocks I just loved. It took me a while to track it down but finially I have found it.
The quilt pattern is called Hocuspocusville By Crapapple Hill Studio. Once finding out the pattern I then found it and brought it. I now get to start this fabulous quilt

However looking at the pattern in the middle I thought to myself it is not one I particularly like. So the mission is on to find a centre I like.
So I spent time finding a material to start sewing the blocks on to. Each block is different and they were all sewn in black.


These look good but I thought in colour they might look better and have done a sample block to see if I liked it.

With the white on white star and spot material I brought I cut the first square of 51cms by 51cms. After tracing the pattern onto the block. I then had to decide on which colours and cottons to use. Using a size 10 needle. I choose the following cottons and then began the block.
DMC cottons
#E168
#310
#413
#829
#935
#937
#971
#3031
#3052
#3768
The result was


Now to start on the next block as I was happy with this result. I have traced the pattern and begun the stitching using the same coloured cottons. I cut out the next block size as 56 cm by 51 cm.

7 comments:

  1. Looking great there Lady. I love it and love your blog so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is a fabulous quilt, and I do like what you did with the colors. I am more into machine piecing, and rarely do stitching, but I do admire it.
    Well, I am now a follower, and looks forward to getting to know you.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked a beautiful quilt to make. I agree, color in the stitchery part looks so much prettier. Can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern...lovely.....what about
    a square in a square pattern for the center?

    Your embroidery looks very nice...have you been doing it long?

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim I have been embroidery for about 6 months but have been handsewing and cross stitching for about 10 years.
    I have a few ideas about how I will place the embroidery blocks and may place them differently to the pattern once I have done all the blocks I will play with different blocks and placement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for becoming a follower on my blog...lovely stitching you are doing looking forward to seeing your progress.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is turning out to be such a stunning quilt.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete