Here is the finished second block I have done which is block 5 of the pattern.
I was again happy with the way it turned out. I have always found french and colonial knots frustrating and hard to do. With cross stitches for years I have sewn on beads because I could never get those blasted knots. So I thought to myself I will give it another go. Low and behold I got it after a few tries. So for those who have trouble with them don't give up because once you get it they are very easy. This block has around 40 french or colonial knots in it.
Well since finishing this block I thought I would trace up another two blocks do sew over the next week. Step one was to cut the fabric for the next two blocks.
After cutting the fabric I cut the interfacing to iron onto the back to assist with keeping the fabric a little stiffer as you sew
Once the interface was ironed on. I had to trace the pattern onto the fabric for sewing. I use to tape it to the window but this can be tiring on the arm when tracing. Then a friend's very talented and smart mother showed me how she made a light box out of her horn sewing cabinet. With a piece of glass or PVC and a light underneath where the sewing machine sits. Makes a great light box.
After setting up the light box I tape my pattern to the material as I only have a small tracing space and can move the pattern and material as one when needed.
Then all that is left is to turn the light on and trace away
Now to sew the next block or two. Hope they turn out as well as the last two have.
While visiting a local quilt show I saw a few quilts with blocks I just loved. It took me a while to track it down but finially I have found it.
The quilt pattern is called Hocuspocusville By Crapapple Hill Studio. Once finding out the pattern I then found it and brought it. I now get to start this fabulous quilt
However looking at the pattern in the middle I thought to myself it is not one I particularly like. So the mission is on to find a centre I like.
So I spent time finding a material to start sewing the blocks on to. Each block is different and they were all sewn in black.
These look good but I thought in colour they might look better and have done a sample block to see if I liked it.
With the white on white star and spot material I brought I cut the first square of 51cms by 51cms. After tracing the pattern onto the block. I then had to decide on which colours and cottons to use. Using a size 10 needle. I choose the following cottons and then began the block.
The result was
Now to start on the next block as I was happy with this result. I have traced the pattern and begun the stitching using the same coloured cottons. I cut out the next block size as 56 cm by 51 cm.